Triple Cheese is a free virtual synth that avoids classic synthesis techniques – no subtractive, frequency modulation (FM) or additive synthesis.
Rather, it employs various types of comb filters, often in series, to generate and modify the sound. Think of the comb filters as very short chromatically tuned delays. Three modules are arranged in series and either generate their own sound or process the output of the previous module.
The features for each module can result in sounds that might seem a little “cheesy” or retro (think early 1980s digital synths). But when pushed, you will find Triple Cheese creates some surprisingly lush sounds.
Triple Cheese comes with a choice of delay-based effects. Although basic, the essentials are covered: chorus, flanger, phaser, delay, or reverb. A special LFO with speed and depth controls can be used to give your sound extra movement and warmth.
Many of the key parameters in Triple Cheese can be modulated from a variety of sources: select one of the classic performance controls (mod wheel, velocity, pressure, key follow, etc.) or an automatic modulation source (envelope, LFO or Vibrator).
- 3 comb filters for sound generation (Read more below)
- 8 different modes per comb filter module (11 modes total)
- Polyphonic (up to 16 voices), duophonic, monophonic (retriggered), or legato mode
- Adjustable portamento (glide) time
- 2 ADSR envelopes with falling, flat or rising sustain stage
- 2 host-syncable LFOs: 1 regular and 1 “Vibrator” with delay and amplitude modulation
- VCA with amplitude modulation, pan
- 5 built-in effects (2x chorus, flanger, phaser, 3x delay, reverb)
- Modulation sources include wheels, velocity, pressure, breath, key follow, random
- MIDI learn/unlearn for hardware control
- Scalable UI from 70% to 200%
- Skinnable UI
- 254 factory presets
Supported platforms & download
Visit this page for more free VST instruments.