Zebralette is a free virtual synthesizer featuring a single oscillator from Zebra plus a few other interesting features, which transform it into a powerful standalone synth.
More than a teaching tool, Zebralette is an incredible sounding synth in its own right. Surrounding Zebra’s spectral oscillator with a few core modulation options and effects make Zebralette highly capable. With unison options (think supersaw, but Zebralette is not limited to saw waves, so we refer to it as superwave), 16 voice polyphony and two different envelopes, you have everything needed to create some marvelously complex sounds.
It resembles many other oscillators you may have used. You can choose a waveset from the included library, or use the waveform editor to draw your own shapes. Here is where things start to get interesting: The Waveform Editor manages up to 16 different waves and lets you rearrange, duplicate and morph between individual waves. Use one of modulation sources and the WaveWarp control to scan through the 16 waves and create unusual, dynamic sounds.
There are four drawing modes: GeoMorph, SpectroMorph, GeoBlend, SpectroBlend, each offering a different approach to creating and manipulating waveforms.
Using the two Geo modes you draw the waveform shape using up to 32 points, while the Spectro modes let you create the harmonic spectrum over 128 columns. When using WaveWarp to scan through the waveset, Morph alters the waveform, whereas Blend blends (crossfades) between adjacent waves.
To add further complexity, use one of the 24 Spectral Effects to warp, mangle or add subtle harmonics to your sound.
- A single Zebra2 oscillator with a 16-slot waveset. Read more below
- Oscillator waveform editing with geomorph, spectromorph, geoblend and spectroblend modes. Read more below
- 24 spectral effects including filter, sync, scatter, phase distortion and many more
- Polyphonic (up to 16 voices), monophonic and legato modes
- Stereo VCA with pan and volume modulation
- VCA oscillator stacking with adjustable stereo width: single, dual, quad and eleven modes
- ADSR envelope with fall/rise (sustain slope) and velocity controls
- Modulation options including modwheel, velocity, pressure, breath, key follow, gate and more
- 2 LFOs: one global, one per voice
- A 32-stage MSEG (multi-stage envelope generator)
- 3 built-in effects: chorus/phaser, EQ, delay
- MIDI learn/unlearn of hardware controls (CC)
- Polyphonic aftertouch support
- 300 factory presets
- Scalable UI from 70% to 200%
Supported platforms & download
Visit this page for more free VST instruments.